Monday, July 14, 2008

Hate

Photobucket

Someone told me today that another person hated me. This upset me very much and made me want to look into the meaning of Hate. From the meaning I can honestly say I do not hate any one. And my heart is deeply saddened if I have caused someone to feel such a strong emotion toward me. I don't think people understand the power of the words they use sometimes. It is so easy to say "Oh so and so hates you." but do you truly comprehend what you are saying when you make statements like that. According to Sigmund Freud he defined hate as an ego state that wishes to destroy the source of its unhappiness. I honestly do not think the person that this other person thought hated me truly wishes to destroy me. I think people should be more careful how they use their words. especially if they do not know the true meaning of the word they are using. I have found this whole episode most disturbing..




Definition: hate
Pronunciation:
\ˈhāt\
Function:
noun
Usage:
often attributive
Etymology:
Middle English, from Old English hete; akin to Old High German haz hate, Greek kēdos care
Date:
before 12th century
1 a: intense hostility and aversion usually deriving from fear, anger, or sense of injury b: extreme dislike or antipathy : loathing hate of hard work>2: an object of hatred hate had been big business — F. L. Paxson>


Hatred or hate is a word that describes intense feelings of dislike. It can be used in a wide variety of contexts, from hatred of inanimate objects to hatred of other people. Prejudice or bigotry against an entire class of people (e.g. racism) are examples of hatred.

Philosophers have offered many influential definitions of hatred. Rene Descartes viewed hate as an awareness that something is bad, combined with an urge to withdraw from it. Baruch Spinoza defined hate as a type of pain that is due to an external cause. Aristotle viewed hate as a desire for the annihilation of an object that is incurable by time. Finally, David Hume believed that hate is an irreducible feeling that is not definable at all.

In psychology, Sigmund Freud defined hate as an ego state that wishes to destroy the source of its unhappiness. In a more contemporary definition, the Penguin Dictionary of Psychology defines hate as a "deep, enduring, intense emotion expressing animosity, anger, and hostility towards a person, group, or object."Because hatred is believed to be long-lasting, many psychologists consider it to be more of an attitude or disposition than a (temporary) emotional state.


Photobucket



No comments: